FanPost

Re-Alignment Pros and Cons

The NHL was re-aligned and at first glance it looks terrible if your in the Rangers position. You know have to deal with the penguins, flyers, and capitals six times a year. While that is bad let's think of something else. There are four teams out of 7 that make the playoffs. If re-alignment took place this year i'd find it very hard for the rangers to not make the playoffs.

Pros:

4 out of 7 teams make the playoffs

Teams will try to beat each other brains out in the regular season because they know they will most likely meet in the playoffs.

Teams play a home and home against every other team not in their conference. Nice to play some of the teams you never get a chance to see during the year.

Because you only play other teams twice a year you don't have to face the tougher competition as much. I.E Boston twice a year as opposed to 4 times a year

Cons:

The Rangers will have to compete with the Flyers, Pens, and Caps just to get out of the first and second rounds.

Decent teams in weaker divisions will make the playoffs.

Point totals conference to conference will be obscured.

Imbalance of games for the teams in the "western" conferences.

The Detroit Red WIngs will never miss the playoffs again because of how weak their conference is.