Rangers News: Sather Taking Calls Regarding Marian Gaborik

NEW YORK - NOVEMBER 14: Ladislav Smid #5 of the Edmonton Oilers flies over Marian Gaborik #10 of the New York Rangers after he tripped Gaborik for a penalty during the second period of a hockey game at Madison Square Garden on November 14 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Paul Bereswill/Getty Images)

Please take note of the title. New York Rangers GM Glen Sather is willing to LISTEN to offers for struggling forward Marian Gaborik. This in no way, shape or form means they are shopping him, it simply means taking proposals from other teams into consideration. The report came from Darren Dreger of TSN yesterday in his weekly column.

Here's some of what he had to say...

The Rangers aren't shopping Gaborik, who has struggled this season with just 16 goals in 42 games after scoring 42 last year, but word around the league is Rangers GM Glen Sather is willing to listen to offers.

Clearing Gaborik's salary would go a long way in creating flexibility this summer when New York faces a wave of key restricted free agents including Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Brian Boyle and Matt Gilroy.

The Rangers will also have to invent cap space if signing Brad Richards as an unrestricted free agent this summer is a priority.

Gaborik, even though he has struggled, would bring in quite a hefty return. As of right now the offers Sather has received are probably far from what he would actually want if he were to ship Marian off. However they could improve as the countdown to the trade deadline (Feb. 28) moves along.

Do I think the Rangers should trade Gaborik? No, I personally do not. They should hold onto him for another year and see what happens. If Sather makes an effort to get him a playmaking center - specifically Richards - over the summer, then I think his game will start to pick up. If not, deal him off next year.

For now, Gaborik should remain a Ranger.