FanPost

Torts on Kreider et al

First I'd like to thank my boy Carp over at lohud for the article because its copied and pasted...thought the banter would find this informational

Tortorella wants Kreider soon

Chris Kreider, an ‘09 Rangers first-round draft pick (19th overall), won the MVP at the Beanpot Tournament in Boston, for Boston College last night.

John Tortorella:

“I didn’t see any of it. Sully (Mike Sullivan) came in and told me today and I wish that kid turned pro last year. And I hope he turns pro next year. I hope he’s with us. He’s a sophomore now, and we’re anxious to get him involved in pro hockey because we think he’s got some good stuff to offer and we want to get him tracked up here with us as soon as possible.

“I’m not sure if (he’s ready for) the National Hockey League, and even next year I’m not sure if it’s the National Hockey League if he does turn pro. But I think the sooner that you get into that grind of the American League, if that’s where you start, the better, because that’s where you learn to play the game. It’s a different game than college hockey. And I can understand. I don’t get into the personal matters as far as education. I think education’s important. I think this is a family decision. But as a coach, we want to sink our teeth into him as quickly as possible as far as getting him into a situation, to a Ranger, as quickly as possible.

“I had conversations with Ryan (McDonagh), I had conversations with (Derek Stepan) over the summer, and I had conversations with Kreider also. McDonagh and Step decided to come out, and I think that’s their call, and it’s Kreider’s call also as far as staying in (college). Selfishly for us, we want to get him to us and get working with him immediately.

“And even us, our discussions with him, are we going to hurt him by trying to get him in too quickly? So you’ve got to be careful. So we felt in watching Kreider, and all three of those guys when we talked to them, that we felt they were ready and we weren’t going to hurt them. McDonagh and Step decided to come and they’re playing with us right now. Kreider decided not to, which is fine. I’m sure he learned more going through the Beanpot and all these things, and all the World Championship games and stuff like that. It’s still a good training ground. So you’ve got to be really careful who you’re trying to get to turn pro because you may hurt them as a player, too, if you don’t allow them to develop where they’re at.”

On McDonagh saying his brief time in the AHL was invaluable:

“It’s hard (as a defenseman). It’s hard. That’s the toughest position, and down there everybody’s chasing that little black thing, and just to learn the grind of the gam at that position, the quick reads you have to make—and I think he handled himself very well. We were very patient as far as … he struggled at first and he just kept on coming on, coming on, and that’s why we felt we could make a deal in getting a forward when we were struggling with so many injuries and lacking offense. As I said, we let a pretty good defenseman go in Rozy (Michal Rozsival) because we felt McDonagh was ready to take the next step, and we feel he’s played very well for us here. He’ll go through some growing pains, but he’s played very well.”
———————
Tortorella said that Wolski was still a little sore, but that he will try to practice tomorrow. “Instead of turning it into a lingering thing, we’re trying to get him some rest,” the coach said.

Dubinsky taking the morning session off was “maintenance. We had a long day on the ice and just with his leg and all that, we just want to be smart there,” Tortorella said.

Ruslan Fedotenko worked out off the ice and is still at least a few games away, if not more.

Derek Boogaard “is working out. Not a heavy workout. Riding the bike, that’s it,” Tortorella said.