Rangers Interested in Neil?

According to Jesse Spector, multiple sources indicate that the Rangers are interested in rugged Senators winger Chris Neil. Spector speculates that there is a chance that the Rangers have an interest in Neil because they want to lessen the fighting responsibilities of Brandon Prust. This makes sense considering Prust has been worn down and has been battling a sore shoulder for quite some time now.

The one hang up is that Neil is signed into next season at a $2 million cap hit. Although Neil would bring some added grit and would add size to the Rangers bottom six, the commitment for next year is too steep. Neil fills a role for this season with Prust banged up and Derek Boogaard likely not to play another game. But next year he becomes redundant once Boogaard suits back up.

Unless the Senators take Derek Boogaard in return (which they won't), I can't see a fit. Especially since the Rangers have a more pressing need for a power play quarterback and with Sheldon Souray on re-entry waivers, he would cost a bit more to actually fill a need.