FanPost

Should we trade our core players if this team misses the playoffs again and who?

Today's game against the Flyers just killed me as a Ranger fan. I came into this season with little expectations for this club to make the playoffs. I've been watching this club since the 88-89 season. This team has been one of my favorite Ranger teams to watch since forever due to their work ethic. I'm really excited about the development of our younger players this year and the effort we are getting from our lesser skilled players.

With all the good that can be said about this team, today’s game is the first game where I felt we might need to blow up this team’s core. The reason is simple; creating a culture that wins and makes the playoffs. This way we don't fall into the trap of falling in love with players that have a culture of just missing. This core will have had 2 years where they play just good enough not to get the job done.

The two I would like to trade if we miss the playoffs this year are Gaborik and Lundquist. The reason I would trade them is based on age and simply not having the same exact players getting over the choke job this team will have done since the game before the all-star break. If we do not make the playoffs I feel these two players will be the reason this team chokes this season away. The 3rd goal by Carcillo this game pretty much sums up why I think its time to consider trading Lundquist.  Another game I felt our team played hard enough to get a point out of and our goalie lets in a softy, so we get nothing.

As great as Lundquist has been for this franchise, his inconsistent play this season has caused this team that has played so hard all year long to lose a lot of points in the standings. (This is a big IF) If Boucher from the Flyers can win a Stanley cup this year then maybe we should examine the goalie position and weigh its importance as opposed to offensive depth and six strong d.

The Mets are a perfect example of why we might have to make a change to the core if we do not make the playoffs this year.

This team is going nowhere fast at the moment and it is mostly because of our two biggest stars lundquist and gaborik have decided not to show up for the stretch run.  If we got the season out of these two world class players that we did last year we would not have to once again win every f---ing game down the stretch for the 5th straight year to make the playoffs. Our position at the all-star break should have required a 500 winning % to finish in the playoffs.

(On a side note)This team is interested in chris neil???????? why??? I love fighting in hockey and physical play, but could we please address why we are losing games. We have not one scoring threat on this team and this lists now includes Mr. Gaborik. We need a legitimate first line center and LW. We have enough grinders at this point.