Rangers Steal: Acquire McCabe for Tim Kennedy and a 3rd Round Pick

WASHINGTON DC - DECEMBER 09: Tomas Vokoun #29 of the Florida Panthers is congratulated by Bryan McCabe #24 after a 3-0 victory over the Washington Capitals at the Verizon Center on December 9 2010 in Washington DC. (Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images)

At least one group of rumors are over.

The Rangers have acquired defenseman Bryan McCabe for Tim Kennedy and a third round pick according to Darren Dreger. It was revealed earlier in the day that McCabe was willing to waive his no-movement clause to come to New York. As Jim so eloquently put it 'Sather Copperfield does it again'. When a no-movement clause works in your favor its a beautiful thing.

With the trade, the Rangers got their man. Although he's 35 years old, he's still big, he's still mean, and he still has a bomb from the point. McCabe has 22 points on the season and will add a security blanket to the Rangers defensive corps. As great as the Rangers played without Marc Staal in the lineup last night against the Caps, when you can fill a need and add some insurance on the cheap, you do it. McCabe won't impact the Rangers future and he'll be off the books after this year. He's a pure rental.

Tim Kennedy never got a chance with the Rangers. He was in waivers purgatory and couldn't help the team this season. He has talent, he's a good player, but he doesn't fit in the Rangers future. The third round pick is likely more valuable and even then, the Rangers managed to keep their extra second round pick, something I didn't think would happen.

The Rangers now have eight defenseman. Expect another domino to fall whether it be a trade or a demotion. Sending Michael Del Zotto to Hartford would be a mistake. I'd speculate that Matt Gilroy might find himself with a new team by Monday. But until then.

Welcome to the NYC.