FanPost

How to put together a quasi plausible trade rumor

So, you're on twitter or facebook or any other means of having large amounts of people follow your every word and you want thousands of rabid hockey fans hanging on your every word around the trading dead line when people are at their panickiest (wow, that's an actual word). Here's a simple guide to follow

  • Pick a few big fan bases (the Rangers, Toronto, etc.) fan bases with big media markets that seem to have holes
  • Do some simple research of the rosters around the NHL as well as reports on TSN, ESPN, SI to see which teams are being talked about as buyer or sellers
  • Next check Capgeek.com to make sure your rumor could make financial sense, maybe even run the trade in their trade editor
  • Finally, If everything checks out word your rumor to make it as vague as possible, while making sure all of the pertinent info is all there (E.G. Rangers and Florida are talking, sources say [that's important] talks could include young prospects and D man) See, you get curious and start wondering around blogs and amongst friends about who it could be thus starting a wild fire
 Once a trade does go down, with the big boys playing the florida/Rangers angle up, you could take credit as being the first one on the block calling the trade and the 1000's of sheep who follow you will sing your praises. Congrats