FanPost

Why all NYR fans should feel better today....

I'm not going to dissect this trade and news, something that is being done by countless others and most likely doing a better job then I ever could.

I just want to say that we all should be feeling better about this team than we did a few days ago. I mean, that is what the trade deadline is supposed to make you feel.

  • We just got better defensively
  • better offensively from the back line,
  • better on the PP,
  • better on experience and leadership in the room,
  • better overall team toughness

Plus MDZ gets to back to where he needs to be and should have been for quite some time now.

I posted these stats in another post but wanted to call them out here. These to me show that this is a team that was built and executes as a team that can play playoff hockey and could be successful. You take that and add on a goalie that could get hot and dominate (we all know he has it in him)....And then improve on it in the ways I mentioned above....there could be some noise coming your way, Philly, Boston, etc... !!!!!

  • Rangers rank 2nd in the league in hits
  • Tied for 2ndin shorthanded goals
  • Rank 7th in penalty killing
  • 3rd in blocked shots
  • Tied for 6th in goals against
  • 4th in road wins
  • Rank 8th with a plus-23 goal differential **** I think this is a big one to take notice of.
  • 17 different players credited with at least one game winning goal this season, which is the most in the NHL.
  • 5th in the NHL with 17 wins in one-goal games
    1st in points when trailing after 2 periods.
  • Tied for 1st in wins when trailing after 2 periods.

That my friend, is a team that can play playoff hockey and win.

Then add these…

  • 6th youngest team in the league
  • 1st youngest defensive corp in the league (though that might be before McCabe)

…cue the song from the guy who has got to wear shades since the future looks bright!!