FanPost

Sport Fan ADD

The New York Rangers’ Fans,

For the last 20 years (at least as far back as a 23 year old can remember) we have been subjected to a Broadway show starring the biggest names in show business.  For most of those years, they put on a good show and were even able to win the cup.  But, at the end of the day it was apparent that our players were more concerned with paychecks than fore-checks.  Then, a miracle happened.  Glen Sather had a crazy idea.  Maybe you can rebuild in New York.  All of a sudden players like Ryan Callahan, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi and Brandon Dubinsky became the New York Rangers.  And I don't mean they just put the jersey on and smiled for the camera.  Oh and who was that amazing goaltender that suppressed heart attack after heart attack with his unearthly saves as our pathetic defense couldn't prevent the opposition from pearl harboring his net?  Henrik Lundqvist.  Our only glimpse of hope.  That is before this year.

For over four months we have all watched a hockey team win more than lose using  70% heart, 20% goal tending and 10% skill.  Lets not forget who has put this team in 7th place.  Players like Prust, Boyle, Dubinsky and Sauer.  Who are these guys?  Ok, we all know Dubi because he has grown up here but those other guys were nothing before this season, not even to Ranger fans.  According to ESPN we ranked 23 in the league before the season started.  Halfway through the season, we were 8.  Now I don't believe we were ever the 8th best team in the league (and I don’t intend to give any credibility to hockey coverage on ESPN, The World Wide Leader in Football) but obviously they did enough to impress the ESPN analysts/writers.

Now, we have guys in their early-mid 20's running this team.  Sorry Ranger fans but these guys are not going to win a cup this year and probably not next year.  In fact, they might have to bust their asses to make the playoffs, they might have trouble scoring on the powerplay and the goaltender might not be God after all.  I guess they should bring back Tyutin, sign 31 year old Brad Richards, and get what we can for Del Zotto and Gilroy.  Being 20 and 26 years old respectively, I'm sure they've hit their prime already so abandon that ship. That kind of mentality led to the idea that "You can't rebuild in New York".  This franchise is celebrating its 85th year in the league and they have finally figured out how to build a team.  So have some patience fellow Boylers, Prustbyterians, Banterans or whatever you call yourselves.