FanPost

Intriguing Idea

I first mentioned this idea i think during the All Star Fantasy Draft and I've wanted to bounce it out to a broader audience to see what you guys thought about it:

I mentioned a chance for the NHL to draw more kids to the game in a way that the Guardian Project didn't. Hockey is a very expensive game to play, not considering travel to and from a rink and the cost of gas prices for parents, equipment itself could run a parent around 300 dollars a season to suit up a kid ages 6-10. My idea would be for the NHL to start up an active youth program through all of its 30 teams.

The way it would work would be that the NHL would establish a youth league going from ages 6-14 that includes teaching kids the game from when they are 6 to having them develop advanced skills in time for them to continue their career through HS and then wherever it goes from there.

The way it would work is that each team will finance a league in their local area, paying for gear and rink time for the kids who sign up and each age group would compete against fellow teams in their area (e.g. the rangers team would compete against the team sponsored by the devils and islanders).

Also, get the parent teams involved more by having open practices where the NHL team would have days where they allow the kids to skate with them and get some once in a lifetime opportunities.

I know this sounds like a pipe dream and very vague plan but I hope you guys who have more experience can help me flesh it out and maybe make up some kind hard plan that I could maybe turn into a reality

Any and all comments, thoughts, critiques would be really appreciated