Matt Cooke Suspended For Remainder of Regular Season, First Round of Playoffs

Reports from everywhere are that Pittsburgh Penguins Left Wing Matt Cooke has been suspended by the NHL for the remainder of the regular season and the first round of the playoffs for elbowing Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh in the head during yesterday's win over the Pens.

The league obviously took into account that Cooke has quite a long rap sheet, having been suspended three times in the last three seasons by the league for numerous hits to the head, one to Artem Anisimov.

Here is what Colin Campbell had to say on the matter: (NHL.com)

"Mr. Cooke, a repeat offender, directly and unnecessarily targeted the head of an opponent who was in an unsuspecting and vulnerable position," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "This isn't the first time this season that we have had to address dangerous behavior on the ice by Mr. Cooke, and his conduct requires an appropriately harsh response."

I think the NHL got this one right, and I am glad to see they weren't swayed by McDonagh not being injured on the play.Your thoughts?