FanPost

Back to Hockey

Ok, so the Matt Cooke sideshow is behind us.  Lots of debate (and some annoying Trolling) about cheap shots, "old time hockey, the instigator, Messier, fighting and the NHL suspension rules ... BUT there are 9 more games remaining and although we're a step further from the ledge, I have a couple of concerns.

1) Staal and McD.  Ready to play tonight?  Does Gilroy or Emminger get the nod?

2) Who's the scratch tonight?  EC was pretty invisible, Wolski played well - good defensive game, but we still need him to push the offense.

3) Is Gabby back?

4) The first two periods play Sunday can't be overlooked.  How did Pitt counter the NYR trying to set up the forcheck?  When the Rangers did get the puck in deep, we got back to Ranger hockey, but getting there - especially in the first two periods was difficult and often sprung odd man rushes the other way.  Personally, I think that Pitt left 2 forwards high near the red line in an attempt to stretch the Ranger spacing between their forwards and D.  NY either needs to have their D step up and take away that stretch pass, and/or sit the third forward higher in the zone when teams look to spread the ice.  Could lead to a considerable amount more neutral zone play, something other teams would love to have against us vice letting our boys cycle below the goal line.

Thoughts about tonight?  Is Vokun in net tonight (he seems to ALWAYS have our number).  Basically, I'm posting to get us back to talking hockey, so I appologize if thoughts are a little scattered.