FanPost

Hey look a fanpost that is not about Matt Cooke

After much schaudenfredian (yes i just made that up) celebrating on behalf of Matt Cooke's suspension I figured its time to move on from that Soap Opera to examine a much different show that airs in our building and is very related to the Rangers.

Back in February both the NBA and NHL were in their month long trade deadline-a-thon and the two biggest names were Carmelo Anthony (NBA) and Brad Richards (NHL) and both players were linked to teams that play in MSG. Melo was linked to the Liberty while Richards was being shopped for two elephants and a clown to be named later, at least that was according to incarceratedbob on twitter.

Anyway, the Knicks finally got their man Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets for half of Staten Island and parts of Queens and Brooklyn while the Rangers stood pat and resisted the temptation of picking up Brad Richards.

Now at face value there is no real connection between the two teams but follow my little rant of madness after the jump to see how I put it all together

Fast forward to this morning and lets look at the two teams. The Knicks are two games under .500 while playing with Melo while the Rangers, while hitting a couple of speed bumps, have turned it on of late at the right time of the year with their young group of players playing important minutes as a team.

The lesson here kids is that for one brief shining moment it seems that Glen Sather has become the most rational GM not only in the hockey tri state area but in both the basketball and hockey tri-state area. By not shelling out Stepan, Staal, Dubinsky et al. Sather proved a point that one superstar does not a team make, after trying for so long it was bound to happen some time right? While Donny Walsh and Jim "The Blues Gnome" Dolan sent half of their starting line up to Denver to acquire one Superstar (Melo) one old, star (Chauncey Billups), and some bits and pieces. Gotta expect Denver to be falling apart if Carmelo is that good right? Well they are 12-2 since the trade while the Knicks are mired in a bad slump as Mike D'Antoni tries to make three good players work with the first 15 people to show up in a Knick jersey.

So Glen while I may rag you, make fun of your cigars and your evil genius, go ahead and light up a big ol' Cuban stogie and blow the smoke in Donnie Walsh and James Dolan. Imagine, a team in New York that succeeds without a big marquee player that has established himself elsewhere.