FanPost

Lundqvist and "rest"

Everyone seems so stressed about Henrik being tired going into the playoffs. I think you're all over reacting. The single biggest difference between this season and previous seasons, is the play of Biron in the first half.

Normally Henrik peaks about 2/3rds of the way through the season because he gets over worked in the first half and then they try to ride him through the second half as well. Has anyone noticed Henrik never really hit a rhythm of any sort until Biron got hurt? Hint, they're related. Henrik plays the best when the team is riding him. However, he needs energy to do so. Biron has played more(and more effectively) than any backup over the last 3+ seasons. Not only has he picked up a fair number of wins for the Rangers, but he's also managed to give Henrik rest early, which as we're seeing now, is causing him to peak later than usual. This is far and away the most consistent Lundqvist has been all year. He's keeping the Rangers in games until they can win them and he's keeping them ahead late when it counts. 1000 times a season you hear goalies talking about how important it is to "get in a rhythm" and to see a lot of pucks. Even teams that platoon two goalies start riding the hot one at some point. If Lundqvist gets 1 off out of the remaining 8, and then gets the break before playoffs start, I see no reason to be worried. Even if we all become huge optimists(for good reason) and think the Rangers are going far this year, he'll get a break at the end of each series. I don't think we've seen Lundqvist with this much energy heading into the last couple weeks since 05-06 when he split with Weekes for much of the early going until the team started to ride him because he was the hot goalie and had a rhythm going.

While this team has things to worry about, I don't think Lundqvist is one of them.