Rangers Recap: Senators Dump Rangers 2-1 in Shootout

NEW YORK, NY - MARCH 24: Craig Anderson #41 of the Ottawa Senators makes a save during the third period against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden on March 24, 2011 in New York City. The Senators defeated the Rangers 2-1 in a shootout. (Photo by Christopher Pasatieri/Getty Images)

Didn't see the game, was busy not flying to Newark, and am spending the night at a hotel in Charlotte, NC courtesy of USAirways.

Here is the recap from NHL.com: (click link for full story)

Facing the Ottawa Senators -- dead last in the Eastern Conference -- with a pivotal four-game road trip on the horizon, the Rangers put forth a lackluster effort that lacked any discernible signs of energy in a 2-1 shootout loss at Madison Square Garden.

The only saving grace was Brandon Prust's early third-period goal that tied the score and helped push the game to overtime, giving the Rangers a much-needed point. Defenseman Erik Karlsson scored in the fifth round of the shootout to give the Senators their sixth victory in nine games and prevent the Rangers from improving their playoff position.

The silver lining is that Boston pummeled the Hapless Canadiens 7-0, so the Rangers moved a point closer to 6th place in the Eastern Conference. Of course the "half-empty" sort of person would note that the Sabres are four points behind the Rangers with two games at hand. I say ignore the problem and it will go away.