FanPost

The PHWA Boycott

I'm not sure how many of you guys have heard but the New York and New Jersey chapters of the PHWA (Professional Hockey Writers Association) have voted to boycott the NHL awards. What this means is that for all of the awards voted on by the writers (Hart, Norris, Calder, Lady Byng, Selke) the writers that cover the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils will not cast their ballot. While this might not make a big impact on the national vote, it does say something about the solidarity of the beat writers for all three teams in the biggest hockey market south of Toronto in wanting to stand up for fellow writer Chris Botta who's credentials were pulled by the Islanders earlier this season for writing articles that the Islanders didn't agree with, let's not forget that Botta was at one time a member of the Islanders front office as a media director, according to Andrew Gross the writers discussed this boycott all year to send a message that something like this wouldn't tolerated

You can read his full article here http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/comments/not_voting_this_year/

UPDATE: The Islanders react, and no, they don't get it http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=558023&navid=DL|NYI|home