FanPost

This team has too many role players.

Not enough actual talent.

Too many 3rd and 4th liners playing top six roles. Yeah, its a great team to watch scrape and come back and win games, gut it out, block shots, etc., but for fuck sake, its not too much to ask for some talent is it? Im sure Lundqvist has a great view from the net of just how much talent this team lacks outside of Gaborik (whos having an injured season). Ask Lundqvist how nice it would be once in a while to have some goal support to win games, similar to Vancouver. Elite goalie, elite scoring talent.

Some of you may not like it, but this team needs Gaborik. It needs elite talent. It needs more of it. This is the post-lockout NHL. Talent wins out.

Brooksie points it out perfectly.

“The third period, the overtimes, the outcome, they are not a reflection of commitment, work ethic, discipline, coaching, or even experience.
The final 52:36 was about talent.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/four_shame_qWGYuYtMBSykNQjIQw9x1O#ixzz1KKDe1lrb

Rewind to 2008-09 when we couldnt score in a brothel. Gomez and Zherdev led the team in points with 58, Naslund with 24 goals. We lost to the Capitals in the playoffs, despite scoring only 11 goals and taking them to 7 games. What we desperately lacked was a player who could consistently be relied on to score. Gaborik is signed July 1st. 2009-10, he exceeds his expectations and scores 42 goals and has one of the best seasons of any Ranger player in its 85 year history with a huge talent gap within the team. 2010-11, Gaborik gets injured on the first game of the year and its affected his play ever since, not to mention being asked to play like a grinder because thats the only way this young team can win.

Even if Gaborik is 100%, he still cant do it all himself. (last year?) Hes most certainly a building block for this team's offense and he needs other elite talent to play with.

When was the last team youve seen to win a Cup on guts alone? This teams current formula will only take it so far.