Rangers Extend Tortorella

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 23: Ruslan Fedotenko #19, Head Coach John Tortorella, Erik Christensen #26 and Vinny Prospal #20 of the New York Rangers appear dejected as they loose to the Washington Capitals 3-1 in Game Five of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the Verizon Center on April 23, 2011 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Len Redkoles/Getty Images)

According to Larry Brooks, the Rangers have extended John Tortorella's contract to cover the next three seasons. Torts original deal was due to expire at the end of this season (something I didn't even realize) and it should be welcomed news that he will remain behind the bench:

Sources have told The Post that Tortorella's contract, originally due to expire after this season, was extended a couple of months ago.

Garden and Rangers executives cited policy in declining comment, but it is believed that the extension will cover the next three seasons. Tortorella, who was hired on Feb. 23, 2009, has taken the Blueshirts to the playoffs twice in three years, but his teams have gone out in the first round both times, and both times to the Capitals.

It took a little longer than expected, but Torts has finally put his stamp on the Rangers. With a Jack Adams worthy season in which he guided the team through more injuries than I care to recall, he has fully earned the right to remain Head Coach.