FanPost

Jumping on the Penn Train

We all know who the big target is in the offseason when it comes to Free Agents, but what about trades? If you guys have been watching the Sharks/Kings series then you surely have noticed a big guy in a Kings jersey, wears number 25 and uses his big body and speed to get to the net. I'm talking Dustin Penner and when he was traded to the Kings I felt like the Rangers missed out on a huge opportunity to get a guy that would have fit beautifully on a line with Dubinsky and Callahan.

Well, now the Rangers have almost a second chance to get him in the offseason. His cap hit is $4.25 million going into the 2011-2012 season so it will take some finagling to get him onto the roster. But I feel that a guy like Penner could be an alternative answer for the rangers power play woes. Just picture this power play unit:

Gaborik-Boyle-Penner

Staal-Del Zotto

You got Gaby patrolling the side boards with Boyle planted in front of the net and/or switching out with Penner along the boards and Del Zotto (hopefully) and Staal getting pucks to the front of the net allowing Boyle and Penner to move bodies around and put the puck into the net.

Putting up 29 (9 on the power play), 23 (13 on the power play), 17 (5 on the power play), 32 (9 on the power play) and 24 (22 with the Oilers and 2 with the Kings and 6 on the power play) goals in his career makes him a perfect top 6 forward that could fit into Torts' grinding system and shows that he could put the puck in the net when up a man something the Rangers could not do virtually at all during the season and especially against the Caps