Callahan Breaks Ankle, Out Indefinitely; Newbury Recalled

The rumors of the injury to Ryan Callahan were rampant, and as optimistic Ranger fans, we were inclined to not believe them. However, they are true. It’s being reported on Twitter and on WFAN 660 that Cally broke his ankle blocking the Zdeno Chara slap shot with under two minutes remaining in the third period, and will be out indefinitely. The injury is a huge blow to the Rangers, as Cally has been one of, if not the most important players all year. He is clearly their on ice leader, and is their second leading scorer (23 goals, 48 points).

Kris Newbury, who was recalled yesterday as a precaution and sent back down before the game, was re-called immediately following the game. He will play until Chris Drury returns, which may be sooner rather than later. If I had to guess, Marian Gaborik will slide up to replace Cally on the Brandon Dubinsky-Artem Anisimov line, and Drury/Newbury will slide in to the fourth line RW role, with Drury taking critical face offs.

Update: Kris Newbury has been returned to CT.  It makes me believe that Drury is ready to go for Thursday.