FanPost

Division Realignments

Let me first say that I feel terrible for all the Hockey fans in Atlanta, but just as excited for all the fans in Winnipeg. Regardless of my personal feelings, now that Atlanta has officially been moved, realignment is necessary. There are multiple ways to go about this, but I believe this is the most effective way.

As Winnipeg will surely be in the Northwest, a team must be moved out of that division. Most people say it will be Minnesota, but I believe it should be Colorado. If Colorado were to move out of the Northwest and into the Central, it would allow Nashville to move to the Southeast, keeping all the other divisions intact. This would be the result:

Northeast:

Boston

Toronto

Ottawa

Montreal

Buffalo

Atlantic:

Rangers

Islanders

Devils

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Southeast:

Washington

Carolina

Tampa

Florida

Nashville

Northwest:

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Minnesota

Central:

Detroit

Chicago

Columbus

St. Louis

Colorado

Pacific:

Anaheim

San Jose

Los Angeles

Dallas

Phoenix

Now.. I'm not saying a team like Phoenix should move, but if they were to move them to lets say Seattle, or another Western Canadian city, it would allow for an even more effective divisional setup. Move Seattle (Phoenix) to the Northwest, Minnesota to the Central, and Colorado to the Pacific. The divisions would be as follows:

Northeast:

Boston

Toronto

Ottawa

Montreal

Buffalo

Atlantic:

Rangers

Islanders

Devils

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Southeast:

Washington

Carolina

Tampa

Florida

Nashville

Northwest:

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Seattle

Central:

Detroit

Chicago

Columbus

St. Louis

Minnesota

Pacific:

Anaheim

San Jose

Los Angeles

Dallas

Colorado

Personally, I can see why moving a franchise like the Coyotes to the Northwest would be cost effective for the NHL, but compassion for the fans must be taken into account.

Thoughts?