FanPost

Artem Anisimov - the invisible stud

Note by Joe Fortunato: Good work here Blue. There will be an Artem Anisimov report card, but this seems like a good topic for you guys to discuss on a lazy Friday. Have at it:

It seems that whenever a proposed trade is floated in Rangeland Artem's name comes up. Has anyone stopped and really looked at what this kid has done in just his 2nd year and being only 22 years old? I doubt it. And those that suggest we trade him will be the first people on the complain line when in 5 years from now he is a stud in this league. Complaining that the Rangers always give up youth who go on  to greener pastures and come back to haunt us.

I admit I have floated the idea as well since I think with Stephan and AA the Rangers have (will have) two very good 2nd line centers. But once you dig a little deeper you realize that Anisimov is a keeper. I would not mind having the problem of two #2 centers...as long as we have a #1 as well. And maybe if we stick with a kid he just might surprise us (Marc Savard, Mike Knuble, etc...)

So lets take a deeper look at AA...(I am not stat expert so please feel free to correct me or challenge my presumptions.)

Sorted on Relative Corsi Quality of Competition for Centers that played over 40 games:

What jumps out to me is AA had the highest Corsi Rel QoC and his P/60 where not so far off and in some cases more that proven stars.

RK  NAME  Corsi Rel QoC  Corsi QoC  P/60
2 ARTEMANISIMOV  1.412 0.931 1.98
3 HENRIKZETTERBERG  1.383 0.739 2.14
5 PAVELDATSYUK  1.175 0.517 2.72
7 JORDANSTAAL  1.037 0.907 1.84
8 PATRICEBERGERON  1.026 0.695 2.46
10 STEPHENWEISS  1.004 0.577 1.43
11 PATRICKMARLEAU  0.998 0.038 1.97
14 BROOKSLAICH  0.95 0.278 1.81
16 DAVIDBACKES  0.907 0.792 2.16
17 JEFFCARTER  0.896 0.67 2.48
25 PAULSTASTNY  0.802 0.178 1.83
29 MIKERICHARDS  0.752 0.567 2.07

Given his age, cap hit and his overall attitude I see no reason why we should be looking to move this kid.

Comments, complaints, critisisms?