NHL Breaking News: Colin Campbell To Step Down From NHL Discipline Position

In some breaking NHL news TSN.ca is reporting that Colin Campbell has stepped down from his position as the head of the NHL Discipline. TSN is also reporting, according to a source, former New York Rangers forward Brendan Shanahan will take over.

From the TSN article:

Campbell will remain a key component in Hockey Operations and as such will continue to oversee such events as future general managers meetings.

Sources tell TSN Brendan Shanahan will likely take over, but there could be somewhat of an overhaul of how supplemental discipline is handled. Campbell will remain a key component in Hockey Operations and as such will continue to oversee such events as future general managers meetings.

Sources tell TSN Brendan Shanahan will likely take over, but there could be somewhat of an overhaul of how supplemental discipline is handled.

Shanahan's role has continually evolved with the league. He is currently working as the NHL's point person in dealing with equipment changes in conjunction with Mathieu Schneider and the NHLPA and is the lead man in organizing the league's Research and Development camps.

Campbell has received a large amount of criticism the past few years for his erratic and often confusing "wheel of justice."

There was also the very embarrassing incident in which a group of his  e-mails were made public  by Tyler Dellow back in November. The incident hit the hockey world hard, and even had Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy wondering if the incedent exposed Campbell to be corrupt

Now, onto how this effects the Rangers.

Directly, it doesn't affect them (or any other team in the NHL) at all. What it will do, however, is bring some sanity back to one of the biggest question marks in the NHL. Hopefully Shanahan (if he does take over) will set specific outlines and precedents for suspend-able actions in the NHL. Hopefully from this point forward when Player X elbows Player Y to the head, fans will have a reasonable idea of what the punishment will be and why.

In the end, that's all you want to see anyway.