Breaking News: Rangers Trade for CGY prospect Tim Erixon

According to various reports, notably the Calgary Flames official twitter account, the Rangers have traded for and signed Calgary Flames prospect Tim Erixon in exchange for center Roman Horak and two second round picks.  The Rangers also receive a 5th round choice in return.   Erixon is 6'2, 190lb defensemen who was the 23rd selection in the 2009 NHL draft.  Much like Ryan McDonagh at the time, Erixon is/was the Flames' top rated prospect according to hockeysfuture.com.  From his page there:

A very smart defenseman that plays a solid two-way game. Erixon is not very spectacular, but plays an effective and rather simple game. He does not throw his body around, but can be aggressive and has active stickwork. Hockey sense is very good and so is his offensive positioning. Not a pure offensive force, but has enough skills to put up points and quarterback the powerplay if needed. Furthermore, he has good size and mobility and handles the puck well.

Erixon posted 5 goals and 24 points in 48 games in the SEL this year.  The Flames stood to lose the rights to Erixon at 5pm today, so with a deal unable to be struck, the Flames looked to move him, and Glen Sather swooped in and got him.  He represents a huge boost to the defensive pipeline, and will have ample opportunity to come in and make the team out of camp this year.

Big stick tap to BTW8892 for carrying this first.