FanPost

A Scary Yet Important Thought to Consider

This post is a consideration to the issues if we cannot sign the free agents that we want and problems arise.

The New York Rangers have had bad luck in the past with their on-ice personnel, i.e. bad signings, draft busts, and fluctuating team chemistries.  The players, coaches, front office, and the fans, suffer through this.  Luckily, the Blue Shirt Faithful continue to show constant support for their Rangers, and that to me is worth more than a Stanley Cup.  (Side note, look at some of the teams that have won titles and get no support from their fans like the Florida Marlins of the MLB and the New Jersey Devils of the NHL.  They only go to games and care when some kind of silverware is involved.)  On a sadder note, which brings me to this point, is that there are two players on our roster who are suffering the most: Henrik Lundqvist and Marian Gaborik.

Gaborik came to the team in the summer of 2010 following the signing of the horrid Donald Brashear.  During the 2009/10 season, Gaborik was mostly responsible for the team's offensive production.  His 42 goals in 76 games accounted for 18 percent of the team's total, an average of 9 goals per player on a 20-man roster not including him.  This season, he was plagued with some minor physical flaws, however, still contributed to the team's offense.  His 22 goals were still top-5 on the team, even though he only played in 62 games.  He has one of the best snipes in the league and when healthy a dominant force.  He has talent that needs to be shown off and used in the playoffs.

Lundqvist is Lundqvist- a solid goaltender who single handedly carried this club to the playoffs.  He goes above and beyond to help his club win without the worry of producing any offense, and in the end, does not get the proper credit he deserves from the league.  Hank never got any consideration for a Vezina nomination after producing a 2.28 GAA with a 92.3 save percentage and 11 shutouts.  The only thing keeping him from true greatness is his W-L record.  A 36-27-5 record is decent, but when your team struggled to get the last seed in the playoffs, that is not so good. Since his arrival to the Big Apple in 2005 he goes above and beyond to make his team happy.  But now, given the current circumstances, that talent is about to get wasted.

The point of this blog, given the god-forbid circumstance, is would you consider trading both or either or Gaborik and Lundqvist.  I love these guys in New York, but I also support them in a different way.  These guys deserve to compete the proper competitive way, and with the current situation going on (remember, just a what-if scenario), that might not happen.  By the time this team is ready for Stanley Cup glory, Hank and Gabby might be out of their primes and unable to compete.  This talent is in need to shine during the Stanley Cup playoffs, and the Rangers right now cannot supply that unless something crazy happens, such as… the Rangers becoming more consistent at BEING consistent.

In a way, this will work out for both parties.  They will get the missing pieces that they need to compete and the Rangers will get stellar young talent, depending on who we trade with.

Just a thought that I do not want to see happen and I hope it all works out in the end.  Thoughts?