Rangers Breaking News: Drury's Knee May Halt A Buyout

There has been a significant amount of speculation this off-season over wether or not Chris Drury will be bought out during the buyout period.

And while many beat reporters, and other media members, have been speculating the move for weeks now; it suddenly appears as though the Rangers won't be able to buy Drury out after all.

From Larry Brooks

It appears as if the Rangers will be unable to buy out the final season of Chris Drury's contract because of a degenerative condition in the captain's left knee that apparently will render him medically unable to play next season, The Post has learned.

While Drury has yet to file the necessary paperwork, sources report he plans to do so. The Rangers, who had been planning a buyout, could file a grievance against Drury, but that is a remote possibility, at best.

If the Rangers can't buyout Drury they will be on the hook for his entire $7.05 million cap hit this off-season, but if the injury is so severe that he can't be bought out they can put him on the LTIR at the start of the season.

Glen Sather and the Rangers, who were undoubtedly planning on using the $3.3 million they would have saved on RFA's or Brad Richards this off-season. While nothing is official yet the Rangers brass will have to turn to a potential Plan B if that's the case.

More when we know it but for now, thoughts on this guys?

P.S. Stick Salute to Captain9NYR for breaking the news.