FanPost

Thoughts And Questions To Ponder

First off, is anyone a little bitter that the Flyers are gonna be able to sign Bryzgalov for a cap hit likely at least 1m less than Lundqvist?  I mean, I love Hank as much as the next guy, and there is no one I would rather in net for the Rangers, but looking at this objectively Bryz is at Hank's level, and one can easily make a case he is superior.  The fact that the Rangers draft and develop Hank, and sign him before he ever hits the open market, while the Flyers can just sign Bryz in his prime off the open market for significantly less money is a bit bothersome.  Its upsetting when a player does all he is ever asked to do, is everything anyone ever wanted, is the teams best player and home grown, and yet his contract is still not really an asset.  Remember though, this is nothing against Hank, more of an indictment on Sather if anything.

In regards to the summer cap, are two way contracts counted, not counted, or is it determined on a case by case basis? If Redden and Dru are both counted it still may not be a huge problem if MZA's 1.75, Erixon's 1.75, and Mcdonagh's 1.3 are all not counted.

Additionally, I think the Drury news may be good news for the NYR, as much as im sure it is demoralizing for Drury, but that comes with a few caveats.  First, the good news would be if the NYR can just throw him on LTIR for the season, spend his cap dollars, and have the contract off the books for next season.  That would save the dead space that the buyout would have forced onto next years cap, which could be concerning if a new CBA means a lower cap ceiling.  One significant problem that could arise is what happens if by January or February Drury gets his knee healthy enough to play?  They would owe it to the captain to allow him that opportunity, besides the fact that he would have the right to grieve it if they stashed him there for months after being medically cleared anyway.  Additionally it would hurt their reputation significantly to other players around the league and potential targets.  But in that scenario, if they use up Drurys cap space while he is on LTIR, what would happen when they would activate him?  They wouldnt be able to fit him in.  So maybe they wont actually be able to use the freed up LTIR space anyway?  Just some thoughts to ponder.

One last question.  Anyone know when the official salary cap for next year is released?  And when the NHLPA votes on whether or not to exercise the 5% escalator?

Anyway guys, thoughts?