FanPost

Brad Richards Days in Dallas are Over

[Note by Jim Schmiedeberg, 06/02/11 4:52 PM EDT BTW is easily becoming one of our top newsmen, thanks BTW!]

TSN is reporting that the Dallas Stars will not be offering a contract to forward Brad Richards, which means he is hitting the free agent market.

Quote from TSN:

With the Dallas Stars' ownership situation not likely to be settled until later this summer, the team will not be making a contract offer to Brad Richards.

Richards, who becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, will be playing elsewhere next season.

The Stars would be interested in trading exclusive negotiating rights with Richards before July 1, but such a move would require Richards to waive his no movement clause and there are no guarantees of that happening.

Quote from Puckdaddy

Big bombshell from the Dallas Stars today, via Bob McKenzie of TSN: "With the ownership situation in Dallas not likely to be settled until later in summer, Dallas will not be making contract offer to Brad Richards(notes)." Joe Nieuwendyk is going to get slaughtered for not trading him, which is a joke. The team was in the playoff hunt until the final day of the season; and given the ownership situation, keeping him was Nieuwendyk's only shot at re-signing him. In other news, congrats to either the Leafs or the Rangers on your new No. 1 center. [TSN]

Here we go Rangers fans!, it's time to get excited, we have a clear shot at landing Brad Richards now. Let's make this happen!