FanPost

Why the Rangers need to draft Mark McNeil

            Friday night, Gordie Clark will walk up to the podium and probably say thank you to Minnesota for their hospitality. Next, he will surely congratulate Boston on their well deserved Cup. What Clark needs to say next is that the Rangers have selected Mark McNeil with the fifteenth pick. 6-2, 215 lbs, 81 points in 70 games, and yes, a few fighting majors. What’s not love about this prospect? He plays a hard-working style and is basically a talented grinder. He has the size and versatility to be a good player in the NHL and while I don’t think he has the skill set to become a great scorer he has the right attitude and work ethic to become one. He seems like a Torts type player.

            Currently the Rangers centers are Derek Stepan, Artem Anisimov, Brian Boyle, and Erik Christensen. And while it seems like the Rangers will sign free-agent Brad Richards, it is not a given. There should be no problem drafting a center, especially one of McNeil’s caliber. McNeil would be added to a solid group of prospects that are forwards for the Rangers, forwards such as, Christian Thomas, Chris Kreider, and Carl Hagelin.

            For me, Mark McNeil is the guy, even if you have to trade up for him. Who do you guys want?