FanPost

Ottawa and Gaborik "murmur"

This "murmur" comes from Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen:

Minneapolis — Take it for what it’s worth, but there is some talk — well, more like a murmur, really — that the Ottawa Senators have some interest in trading for Marian Gaborik of the New York Rangers.

While this is borderline ridiculous given the two teams positions this offseason, its at least fun to theorize given that it is late-June. What is Ottawa looking to move in order to afford Gaborik?

What if the Rangers were willing to take defenceman Filip Kuba, who is scheduled to make $3.7 million next season. Kuba and Rangers coach John Tortorella have a connection going back to their days together with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Kuba is a big D-man who has been publicly put on the block as the Sens start a re-build. He's shown the ability to produce some points over his career, and most of his advanced stats (the ones I prefer) look actually pretty good seeing as the Senators have been going downhill the past few seasons. He's been playing significant minutes, against good competition, and in general moves the puck towards the opponents end. What would come with him, would be my next question. I personally would inquire about names such as Bobby Butler, Nick Foligno, Peter Regin, or Ryan Potulny. All are young, cheap, and have upside when it comes to offensive numbers.

So like I said, this is a load of crap, but I'd rather be doing this than working. Thoughts?