FanPost

Aftermath of yesterday and NYR implications

Just  some random thoughts after yesterday and how it impacts the Rangers. Comments/complaints/criticisms/compliments welcomed..

  • Philly jumps ahead of us in the draft and is probably going to target a defenseman. But as most accounts had CBJ looking for defense this does not really impact the chances of a forward being pushed lower.
  • So does yesterday's deal remove one Brad Richards suitor (LA) but add another (PHI)? Hard to see how Philly can add BR with only $7mil in cap space and only 9 forwards and 6 D signed, which does not include Simmonds and Voracek. Is $2mil each for those two out of wack? If not, then I do see how they can. Sure then can trade Versteeg adding another $3mil in space. Doubt $6mil is enough to sign BR unless they do another 50yr deal or move other big pieces (Hartnell has a NTC)
  • Speaking of BR, word is he is looking for a 8yr $50-$55mil contract ($6.25-6.8 cap hit). I am sure most fans would scream if he was signed to that but as shown yesterday, those types of contracts are not unmovable. I don't think they are as toxic as some make them out to be. Sure those players were younger but if structured to decline to $1mil-$2mil in the last few years that could increase the chance of the player to retire if he can no longer produce. Big difference between leaving $5mil on the table compared to $2mil.

Any other implication I have overlooked besides the obvious of Dubi not have his dance partner around anymore?