The New York Rangers' Power Play Shooting

UNIONDALE, NY - OCTOBER 11: (L-R) Brandon Dubinsky #24 and Ryan Callahan #17 of the New York Rangers celebrate a power play goal by Michael Del Zotto (not shown) at 8:28 of the second period against the New York Islanders at the Nassau Coliseum on October 11, 2010 in Uniondale, New York. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

After looking at the Rangers' even strength shooting again, the natural progression is to follow that up with a look at their power play shooting.  That starts by once again looking at the league wide statistics in the category (statistics as always courtesy of behindthenet.ca):

PPS/60 2008 2009 2010 2011
PP SH% 2008 2009 2010 2011
Forwards   9.645
10.323
10.403
10.435

Forwards   14.86%
15.13%
14.69%
14.11%
Centers   9.105
9.991
10.297
10.423

Centers   13.50%
14.43%
14.59%
12.16%
Wingers   10.021
10.549
10.479
10.443

Wingers   15.72%
15.59%
14.76%
15.57%
Defensemen   9.026
9.965
9.835
9.467

Defensemen   7.89%
8.03%
6.89%
6.87%
Total   9.440
10.205
10.219
10.120

Total   12.66%
12.84%
12.25%
11.91%

At even strength, we saw that shots on goal clearly favored the forwards, who had roughly 2.5 times more per 60 minutes than the defensemen.  On the powerplay, that changes dramatically, with the separation between forwards and defensemen at less than 1 shot per 60.  Considering the smaller sample of power play minutes (more than seven times less), we should expect the rates to have more volatility to them, however the shot rates are fairly stable over the last 3 years.  Instead, we see that volatility appear in the shooting percentages from year to year, especially among the centers and defensemen.

Do the Rangers' power play woes translate here?  Find out after the jump.

TOI Shots PPS/60 PP SH% TOI Shots PPS/60 PP SH%
BRIANBOYLE 49.20 14 17.073 28.57% DANGIRARDI 161.60 38 14.109 5.26%
ERIKCHRISTENSEN 133.56 33 14.825 12.12% MATTGILROY 71.92 15 12.514 0.00%
MARIANGABORIK 181.04 41 13.588 14.63% BRYANMCCABE 226.46 36 9.538 2.78%
ARTEMANISIMOV 145.96 30 12.332 10.00% LEAGUE AVG 9.467 6.87%
RYANCALLAHAN 186.60 35 11.254 25.71% MICHAELDEL ZOTTO 169.20 23 8.156 8.70%
LEAGUE AVG 10.435 14.11% MARCSTAAL 200.20 24 7.193 16.67%
VINNYPROSPAL 81.20 13 9.606 7.69%
BRANDONDUBINSKY 228.69 34 8.920 11.76%
ALEXANDERFROLOV 95.46 12 7.542 0.00%
DEREKSTEPAN 178.76 22 7.384 9.09%
WOJTEKWOLSKI 147.46 18 7.324 5.56%
MATSZUCCARELLO 102.90 10 5.831 0.00%
RUSLANFEDOTENKO 51.48 4 4.662 25.00%
CHRISDRURY 14.64 1 4.098 0.00%
CHADKOLARIK 2.96 0 0.000 0.00%!

Data for Wolski (PHX) and McCabe (FLA) is full season data. Players must have 0.5 TOI/60 to qualify.

The name at the top of the list for forwards is the same as it was for even strength.  Brian Boyle was doing an excellent job at generating his own shots on goal on the power play, but did so in limited time.  Should that have been enough to earn him more?  I think so, but the Rangers' coaching staff clearly did not.   Just below Boyle, we see many of the characters that were given first unit time.

The lone regular not above average is your ice time leader, Brandon Dubinsky.  This is actually encouraging to a degree, as Dubinsky led the team in scoring despite not really producing on the PP (his 2.63 p/60 was also well down the list of Rangers' forwards).  You can never go wrong with room for growth.  Finally, you see the impact that playing the point can have on a forward.  The three 'projects at the point', Derek Stepan, Wojtek Wolski and Mats Zuccarello, were given a bunch of ice time, but not surprisingly, didn't generate many shots, posting below average totals even for a PP defenseman.

Speaking of the defenseman, Bryan McCabe was brought in to be the big shot that keeps the PK'ers honest.  While he certainly brought the shot with him, he was basically average about unleashing it on goalies.  As a whole though, the defense had a much better showing with regards to shots than they did at even strength.  Dan Girardi, in particular, was very good at getting shots on net with frequency.

In a single season, there really isn't enough sample to make definitive conclusions about a players effectiveness as a powerplay player, but it it still important to remember how valuable power play time can be when it comes to scoring, and that players who can take advantage of that time are bound to have good seasons.