FanPost

Bryzgalov's "rights" traded to the Flyers

via t3.gstatic.com Images_medium

In what will be a presumably active offseason, the Philadelphia Flyers have acquired the rights to Ilya Bryzgalov. The Flyers will send a 3rd round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft, and future considerations to the Phoenix Coyotes. The acquisition will help a tumultuous goaltending situation in Philadelphia who haven’t had a premier goaltender since the likes of Roman Checkmanek (Had a period of time where he was above average). Brzygalov is a solid net minder, and is undoubtedly an upgrade from the platoon of Bobrovsky, Boucher, and Leighton.

Should a deal be hammered out between Bryzgalov and the Flyers, the Flyers would have to make other roster moves. Bryzgalov has stated that he wants to be heavily paid. The Flyers before the acquisition were already tied down cap wise. With only 18 players under contract, the Flyers had a mere $431,000 in cap space.

The Flyers will most likely have to part with the likes of Ville Leino, who had a fantastic year in Philadelphia and is now an Unrestricted Free Agent. Other players coming off Philadelphia’s books are Dan Carcillo, Nikolai Zherdev, Andreas Nodl, Darroll Powe, Sean O’Donnell, Nick Boynton, and Brian Boucher. All of these players will be playing for other organizations.

However, the interesting notion of this Bryzgalov acquisition is the high probability of the Flyers of moving a player under contract. The likes of Kris Versteeg, Kimmo Timonen, Andrej Mezaros, are all players with hefty contracts that Philadelphia would like to move. But the aforementioned players are overpaid for what they provide. Philadelphia is likely to have to trade a premier talent such as Jeff Carter to become salary cap compliant.

As for the Rangers, would the Flyers trade with their division rivals? Presumably, but doubtful. This should be fun to watch Philadelphia struggle to meet the salary cap standards. In my opinion, Bryzgalov is a top goalie, but I would rather stick with Sergei Bobrovsky, a younger homegrown goalie, that only counts 1.75 million dollars against the cap.

Nonetheless, time will tell.