Rangers News: Drury WILL be Bought Out, Avery & Wolski Will NOT

To follow up on our earlier report of the Rangers possibly buying out the remainder of captain Chris Drury's contract, Larry Brooks of the New York Post has in fact confirmed that the report is true and that GM Glen Sather called and informed Drury that he will be bought out. Brooks also confirms that Sean Avery and Wojtek Wolski will not be bought out.....

General Manager Glen Sather has informed Chris Drury that the Rangers will buy out the final season of his contract, The Post has learned.

Drury, the team captain whose 2010-11 was ruined by injuries that limited him to 24 games during which he was reduced to a bit player, had signed a five-year, $32.5M free agent contract on July 1, 2007. It was the same day the Rangers signed free agent Scott Gomez to a seven-year, $51.5M deal.

The Post has also learned that the team will not buy out either Wojtek Wolski or Sean Avery, each of whom ended the season with tenuous futures on Broadway.

And again, buying out Drury will open up $3.3 million in cap space for the Rangers.