New York Rangers News And Notes: Derek Jeter Edition

NEW YORK, NY - JULY 09: Derek Jeter #2 of the New York Yankees celebrates at home with teammates Jorge Posada #20, Mariano Rivera #42, Alex Rodriguez #13 and Curtis Granderson #14 after hitting a solo home run in the third inning for career hit 3000 while playing against the Tampa Bay Rays at Yankee Stadium on July 9, 2011 in the Bronx borough of New York City. (Photo by Michael Heiman/Getty Images)

Reminder: Just reminding you that @Joe_Fortunato is the new official twitter account for Blueshirt Banter. While you can still find our stories posted on @BlueshirtBanter, that account is going to become Jim's personal twitter account shortly, and when it does you won't be able to find Blueshirt Banter stories on the twitter. So give me a follow and continue getting your Blueshirt Banter tweets! Thanks guys!

"Link dumps" are posts many SBNation sites have adopted and had success with. We've done this before, and I'm thinking of bringing it back, at least for the weekends. Let me know what you guys think.

- This has nothing to do with hockey, but we here at Blueshirt Banter are going to tip our hats to Yankees-great Derek Jeter. Jeter went 5-for-5 yesterday including hitting his 3,000th hit (the first Yankee to ever do so) by launching a home run to deep left. More on that [Pinstripe Alley] [SBNation New York] [ESPN New York].

- Not too surprising here, but Andrew Gross is reporting that the Rangers are in the market for a veteran defenseman. What might surprise you about what he is speculating is that the Rangers might want to trade for such a player. [Ranger Rants]

The Rangers are also still in the market for a veteran defenseman to go with Mike Sauer, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Tim Erixon and possibly Michael Del Zotto. With a surplus of forwards, they're in a position to make a deal.

- Reports are beginning to surface that Steven Stamkos and the Tampa Bay Lightning are so far apart on a new contract that Stamkos wants a trade. While I'm not putting too much merit into the rumors, the two sides are very far apart and nothing coming from either camp seems to be positive. I'll have a post going up tomorrow on what the Rangers would have to give for a potential trade to land the superstar, but again, it's just mid-summer speculation at this point.

-Want to know which free agents are left on the board? Look no further. [NHL]

Use this as your Sunday open thread. Obviously if any news breaks you'll find it here. Thoughts guys?