FanPost

Tom Renney vs. John Tortorella

       Tom Renney is responsible for the Rangers turn around post lockout. I feel like he was fired unfairly. At the time Sather gave him an awful lineup to deal with. Markus Naslund and Chris Drury were on the first line. I often wonder what the team would be like right now if Renney was still coaching the team. I think it would be different. Tom Renney always seemed a little hesitant to play the young guys. If Renney was the coach I do not believe that guys like Stepan, McDonaugh, and Del Zotto would even be on the current Rangers roster. While Renney did not hesitate to put the young Henrik Lundqvist in net( Lundqvist played over 120 games his first two years) he did not give Prucha the ice time he needed. After a 30 goal rookie campaign, Prucha struggled as he got less time. His PP time went down as he scored 16 pp goals his rookie year then just 8 and then two.  And under Renney I think some other youngsters should have made the team while he wa coaching. A guy like Dane Byers. Under Renney the Rangers did not have a very good Power Play. After the 05-06 season the Rangers never really had a great power play, i think Prucha had something to do with it, not getting much time on the PP. However, Renney always did have a great PK. Renney was a players coach and I think he did a great job of handling his Captain too. He was well respected and the players loved him. I highly recommend you watch Oil Change, just watch as he works with youngsters and the vets. The guys love him

John Tortorello is not a players coach. While the guys do like him, they do hate him sometimes, even if they don't say anything. Torts obviously plays the young guys and Sather has built a lineup that is Torts kind of team. A harder working, grinding type team that is getting more talented, thanks to the likes of Gabby, Richards, and young Stepan. Like Renney the Power Play sucks, but I do think it will get better this year. I have to go so I need to cut this short, but who do you guys like better as a coach, Torts or Renney?