New York Rangers Analysis: Searching For A Veteran Defenseman

NEWARK NJ - NOVEMBER 05: Steve Eminger #44 of the New York Rangers skates with the puck against the New Jersey Devils at the Prudential Center on November 5 2010 in Newark New Jersey. (Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images)

Glen Sather has made this one of the best off-seasons I can remember for a long time. He bought out past captain Chris Drury, and acquired the top free agent target, Brad Richards. Many people believe there is one important piece that is still missing, a veteran defenseman.

Last season the New York Rangers brought in veteran Bryan McCabe, who they acquired at the trade deadline. However, McCabe did not solve what he was brought in for, which was quarterbacking the powerplay. He was also brought in to be a veteran presence along the blueline. As many of us have noticed, he was not that answer to solving our problems.

Although, in my opinion there is still one name that sticks out to me, Steve Eminger.

Join me after the jump for why I believe Steve Eminger fits this role.

Rather than looking towards the trade market for veteran presence, the Rangers should re-sign current UFA Steve Eminger. Although he was faced with multiple healthy scratches throughout the season, Steve Eminger fits this role perfectly.

With eight seasons of experience within the NHL, Eminger has the ability to mentor and help these young defensemen along the path. Steve Eminger also adds a lot of depth to the roster, and makes the team that much stronger. However, he may fit in as a 7th defenseman but when called upon he can and will get the job done.

In his 65 games with the Rangers last season, Eminger put up 2 goals, and 4 assists. His points may be deceiving, but when he was in the line-up, he was nothing but a shutdown defenseman. He also blocked a total of 103 shots last season, which put him third on the team behind Dan Girardi and Marc Staal.

What are your thoughts? Do you believe Steve Eminger fits this veteran role?