NHL News: Devils hire Pete DeBoer as Head Coach

Our neighbors to the west have a new head coach, as the New Jersey Devils have announced that former Panthers coach Pete DeBoer has been hired to replace the retired (again, and again, and I think again) Jacques Lemaire.

DeBoer was the coach of the Florida Panthers before being fired in April after missing the playoffs a third straight season.

Of course, this is the type of stuff you often hear after a coach is fired, but this from a Miami Herald article in April:

The Panthers are definitely moving on. A number of players spoke of a new start being needed as DeBoer’s style wore on them. One veteran player said it would be good for a fresh start as players were "afraid to make mistakes," under DeBoer.

DeBoer was 103-107-36 with the Panthers.

At least having coached in South Florida, he will be used to all the Rangers jerseys at home games.

For the latest on the Devils, check out In Lou We Trust