New York Rangers News and Notes: Around The NHL

NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 04: Vaclav Prospal #20 of the New York Rangers scores is second goal of the game at 18:26 of the second period against the Boston Bruins at Madison Square Garden on April 4, 2011 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

- The Vinny Prospall era has ended today in New York, as the forward signed a one-year deal with the Columbus Blue Jackets. He will be making a total of $1.75 million, far to much for the Rangers to bring him back for another year. Best of luck to Vinny in Columbus, he'll have fun with Nash and Carter on the first line.[TSN]

- News surfaced yesterday that Derek Boogaard's brother (Aaron) was arrested and charged for Derek's death. Aaron was found providing Derek with unprescribed narcotic pain pills of oxycodone. He was also found flushing the evidence of the pills down the toilet before authorities arrived at Derek's apartment. He was charged with both distribution of a controlled substance and interfering with the scene of a death. [NY Post]

- Many of you have heard about the recent terrorist attacks in Norway this past Friday. New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello was present in Norway at the time the attacks happened. However, he has checked in with multiple people to indicate him and his family are doing fine, just a little shaken up. [Ranger Rants]

- Brandon Dubinsky was featured in a video earlier today discussing his new contract. He stated that he knew the deal would come at some point. They even had their 9:00 AM arbitration hearing pushed back to complete the deal. Dubinsky states that New York is the only place he wants to play and glad a deal was in place to keep him here. [Blueshirts United]

- The Winnipeg Jets officially unveiled their new logos for the 2011-2012 season late Friday afternoon. The logo has some history to it, but has been completely modernized. To view the logo, check out the official Winnipeg Jets website. [Winnipeg Jets]

- Across the waters, our rivals, the New York Islanders have apparently been in talks to bring forward Alexei Yashin back to the Island. There was concerns a new contract would violate the current CBA. Bill Daly confirmed that it would not violate it, but might risk a cap circumvention. The Islanders are still currently paying Yashin for buying him out four years back. [TSN]

- The legendary Mike "Doc" Emrick has stepped down from the Devils broadcast booth to join NBC and Versus. Emrick spent 21 years with the New Jersey Devils, and served 23 years with MSG Networks. [NJ Devils]

That's about it for now, use this as your open thread for the day. Hopefully more to update soon. Discuss away!