FanPost

New York Rangers News: Stu Bickel Agrees To One-Year Deal

[Note by BTW8892, 07/26/11 9:08 PM EDT - Capgeek confirmed that the deal is indeed a one-year deal. This was clearly a big depth move for the Rangers and the Connecticut Whale. Bickel appeared in 54 games with the Whale last season and had a total of nine points. In case many of you don't know what this guy is all about, here is an excerpt from Hockey's Future: ]

A physical stay-at-home defenseman, Bickel has good size and an unpleasant on-ice disposition. He also has an underrated outlet pass. He can play the role of a second-pairing defenseman but is better suited as a third-pairing, shutdown guy.

1 year deal. NHL cap hit of $600,000, AHL salary of $75,000.

Dunno much about this guy, i'm assuming he has no legitimate shot of actually playing for the Rangers this year, bearing crazy amounts of injuries, and will spend the year in Hartford. I don't understand the reasoning for this signing. Does the Whale not have enough players on its roster? Does Bickel have any potential to be a regular NHLer?