New York Rangers Breaking News: Rangers Sign J.T. Miller

ST PAUL, MN - JUNE 24: 15th overall pick Jonathan Miller by the New York Rangers poses for a portrait during day one of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft at Xcel Energy Center on June 24, 2011 in St Paul, Minnesota. (Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images)

According to Andrew Gross the New York Rangers have agreed to terms with this year's first-round pick (15th overall) J.T. Miller.

Miller would be eligible to play for the Connecticut Whale this season. He would also have the option to play for Plymouth of the OHL, which is the team he agreed to play for, leaving a verbal commitment to the University of North Dakota to do so.

Miller said after he was drafted that he only expected to play in juniors or the NCAA for a year before going the professional rout. This is another step on that journey.

If the Rangers feel Miller is prepared enough, they might allow him to play in the AHL this year. That would, however, use up one year on his entry level contract. Seasons in the OHL do not count, unless the player played in more than 10 NHL games that year before they got sent back to juniors.

More on the signing when we know it.

The official New York Rangers press release is below.

RANGERS AGREE TO TERMS WITH

2011 FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK J.T. MILLER

New York, July 28, 2011 - New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has agreed to terms with forward J.T. Miller.

Miller, 18, was selected by the Rangers with the 15th overall choice in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft on June 24.  The East Palestine, Ohio native led Team USA in scoring with 13 points in six tournament contests en route to capturing the gold medal at the 2011 IIHF U-18 World Junior Championship in Germany.  He tied for third among all tournament skaters in points, fourth in assists (nine), sixth in goals (four), and seventh with a plus-eight rating.  Miller was selected by tournament coaches as Team USA's top player during the elite tournament after leading Team USA in points and assists, and finishing second on the team in goals and plus/minus rating.

Last season, Miller skated in 48 games with the U.S. National Under-18 Team (USHL), registering 11 goals and 26 assists for 37 points, along with 80 penalty minutes.  He established USHL career-highs in games played, assists, points, and penalty minutes, and ranked third on the team in points, and second in assists and penalty minutes.  Miller also established career-highs with two shorthanded goals and three game-winning goals, and notched a USA U-18 career best, two power play goals.  His two shorthanded goals tied for the team lead, while his three game-winning goals tied for fourth on the club.

Internationally, Miller registered three goals and eight assists for 11 points in eight contests at the Four Nations Cup in Sundsvall, Sweden and the Five Nations Tournament in Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic.  He notched two goals and three assists for five points in four games at the 2010 Four Nations Cup from November 10-14.  In addition, Miller tallied six points (one goal, five assists) in four games at the 2011 Five Nations Tournament from February 7-13.  He led all tournament skaters with five assists, and ranked seventh in scoring with six points.

The 6-1, 200-pounder has appeared in 95 career games over two seasons with the U.S. National Development Team (USHL), registering 26 goals and 42 assists for 68 points, along with 159 penalty minutes.  In 2009-10, Miller established USHL career-highs in goals (15) and power play goals (four), and finished with 31 points while skating in 46 games with the U.S. National Under-17 Team (USHL).  He also helped lead Team USA to a first-place finish at the 2010 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Timmins, Ontario, tallying a team-high, five goals, and finishing second on the team in scoring with nine points during the tournament.