New York Rangers News: Sather Supports Islanders New Arena

UNIONDALE, NY - JUNE 24: Fans looks at a sign for the upcoming county vote for the proposed new arena during the New York Islanders Draft Party on June 24, 2011 at Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, New York. (Photo by Mike Stobe/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers and Glen Sather announced today that they are fully supporting the Islanders and their plan for a new arena. Sather states that it would be hard to see the Islanders leave and as a result, lose one of our biggest rivals.

I'm sure all of us can agree on this. While we all know the Islanders are our biggest rivals, it would be really hard to see them leave Long Island. Sather urges all Rangers, Islanders and hockey fans to vote yes in favor of the new Coliseum.

Along with Sather, Rangers owner James Dolan appeared in a TV commercial supporting the new arena as well.

I encourage all of my readers who live in Nassau County to get out and vote yes on the new Islanders arena on Monday.

The official New York Rangers press release is below:

Statement from Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather regarding Nassau County Referendum

"The rivalry that has existed between the Rangers and Islanders for almost 40 years is one of the best in hockey and in all of sports.   The intense passion and emotion involved in these games is something we cherish and would like to see continue for generations to come.   We urge Rangers fans, Islanders fans and all hockey fans in Nassau County to vote yes for the referendum on Monday, August 1".   - Glen Sather