FanPost

Heatley Dealt to Minnesota for Havlat

Just as we thought the Toronto/Nashville trade was as good as it gets, the Minnesota Wild and San Jose Sharks completed a blockbuster trade. The deal sends forward Dany Heatley to Minnesota in exchange for Martin Havlat. Havlat waived his no-trade clause in order to be dealt to San Jose. Healtey on the other hand, had a modified no-trade clause. He had to submit a list of ten teams he didn't want to go to before July 1st, obviously Minnesota was not on that list.

This was a pure salary dump trade for the Sharks as they now save $2.5 million in cap space. Both players have similar points on paper, the upside is that Havlat comes $2.5 million cheaper, for the same point production. Havlat, a versatile who scored totaled 62 points last season, will join a very talented young San Jose squad. This marks the second deal between Minnesota and San Jose. Their first being another blockbuster trade sending Devin Setoguchi to the Wild for defencemen Brent Burns.

Here is the official trade statement from the San Jose Sharks:

San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson announced today that the club has acquired forward Martin Havlat from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for forward Dany Heatley.