Rangers News: Rangers Re-Sign Michael Sauer

Larry Brooks is reporting via Twitter that the New York Rangers have re-signed restricted free agent defenseman Michael Sauer to a 2-year deal worth $1.25 million per year. Sauer, age 23, had three goals and 12 assists in 76 games played in his rookie season with the Rangers last year, and also finished with a team-high plus-20 overall rating.

Sauer came along much quicker than the Rangers expected last season, and as the year went on I truly believe that he became one of the squad's better defenseman. His aggressive approach is what drives him and he quickly learned when to use the body, when to stay in position and he was always willing to defend his goaltender. Along with Ryan McDonagh, this kid is going to be a solid blue-liner for the Rangers for many years to come.