FanPost

Why the Richards Signing Was A Bad One

As we know the last few off seasons Glenn Sather has made awful free-agent signings. Drury, Redden, Gomez etc. In my opinion, a few seasons from now one will be adding Brad Richards to that list. Being only 15 years old, I've never seen the Rangers as true contenders, and i've never really seen a big free-agent name work out for the Rangers. To me this signing will handicap the Rangers down the road. I do believe it will cause them to lose a guy like Sauer, Anisimov, or Brandon Prust. The contract says 9 years worth $60 mil. But the first 6 years is worth $57 mil. Basically we signed him to that contract with essentially a few free years at the end of his career. I'd much rather see the Rangers offer contract like that to a guy like Zach Parise, a possible free-agent next season. Richards is also coming off a concussion. That's always tricky to deal with. On the positive side of things he should be very good still for the next 2-3 seasons and hopefully he will ignite Gabby. If we get Gabby to score 40 again, and get the same kind of scoring support like last year, we should be very good. You guys might think I'm crazy but it just doesn't seem that great to me. Thoughts?