NHL News: Chris Drury Announces Retirement

The NHLPA announced today that former New York Rangers captain, Chris Drury has retired. The Rangers bought out the final year of Drury's contract on June 29th. Drury was faced with multiple injuries over his final season with the Rangers. He faced a severe leg injury, that most likely kept him from returning to play another season.

As a Ranger, Drury tallied 151 points in a total of 264 games. In his entire career he registered 255 goals, 360 assists in over 800 games played. It's sad to see Drury go, he was known for being clutch in big situations. Unrealistic expectations, high cap hit, and injuries hurt Drury's career the most.

Congratulations to Drury on a fantastic career, we here at Blueshirt Banter wish him the best of luck in the future.

Big stick salute to BigB22, who had the news up before.

Official statement from Glen Sather after the jump.

STATEMENT FROM RANGERS PRESIDENT AND GENERAL MANAGER GLEN SATHER ON THE RETIREMENT OF CHRIS DRURY

New York, August 19, 2011 – The following is a statement from Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather on the retirement of Chris Drury:

"Throughout his career, Chris Drury was always a great competitor, a tremendous leader and teammate, and the heart and soul type of player that every team would love to have.  His commitment, determination and will to win were apparent each and every day.  Those characteristics will have a lasting impact on all those who were fortunate enough to learn from Chris over his 12 years in the National Hockey League."