FanPost

Pashnin Update from ESPN Insider

Slava Fetisov (CSKA president) is upset with Mikhail Pashnin's signing w/ #NYRangers.

Prospect Mikhail Pashnin is looking to join the New York Rangers organization for the 2011-12 season. According to Beyond the Blueshirts, the 22-year-old defenseman's agent is talking to the Rangers at present.

"We're currently negotiating with New York," Alexei Dementyev told Sport-Express. "Mikhail took part part in the Rangers rookie camp this summer and received good reviews. Team management informs [us] that they expect him at their main training camp, starting in September."

Pashnin skated with HC CSKA Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League last season. The young blueliner reportedly decided against renewing his contract with the squad. He was originally drafted by the Rangers in 2009 (7th round).

If a deal can be worked out, Pashnin will likely play with the AHL Connecticut Whale this coming season.

Not everyone is thrilled about Mikhail Pashnin's signing with the New York Rangers. Word has it the president of Russian hockey club HC CSKA Moscow is "upset" the young defenseman left for a gig on this side of the Atlantic.

Slava Malamud of Sport-Express reports club president Slava Fetisov says Pashnin will wind up playing in the AHL in 2011-12. And the 22-year-old should have decided to stay in the KHL instead.

We're still awaiting official notification of the signing from the Rangers.

And it still may not happen.

Dmitry Chesnokov tweets "Mikhail Pashnin will attend the (New York Rangers) training camp and will then make a decision on whether to join the Rangers."

We can assume Pashnin will want to gauge his chances at getting the opportunity to play in the NHL this coming season. If the young defenseman feels he'll be stuck with the AHL Connecticut Whale from start to finish, a return to the KHL is still possible.