FanPost

I would just like to clear the air and offer an apology....

Things got heated with this whole Sean Avery debate.  I don't want the comments I made and the reactions to them to alienate me on this blog.  For anyone who I pissed off lets just agree to disagree and move on.  We're here to talk hockey and I think we should just leave it at that.

I am surprised, however, at some of the attitudes on here towards the police.  Its disappointing to see so many of you ready to throw my profession under the bus, yet if the shit ever hit the fan for any of you, we're the first ones you'd call for help.  I guess that's just reality.  I cannot change how you feel, and if you've truly had some bad experiences with cops than that's too bad, but I wonder how many of those exchanges were completely one-sided.  I wonder if none of you provoked the officer or ran your mouth at the wrong time, and if indeed the cops were all just pure dickheads.

I don't live in a box, I know there are asshole cops out there.  There are assholes in every job, but I'm proud to say that most police officers are out there trying to do the right thing.  And I can also tell you with a certainty that in many situations, doing the right thing is never clear and, quite often, you have less than a couple of seconds to decide what exactly that might be.  Its a hard job but its a job that I love, and I don't like to see it dragged through the mud.

Assuming the officers were anything but correct in this situation is remiss, however even I said earlier that none of us were actually there so its difficult to comment one way or the other.

And to Scratch N Snif, I want to personally apologize to you in front of everyone on here.  I don't know what its like to walk around as a black man, and I would be wrong to tell you how you should feel about it.  I do know that I am not racist, and the painful reality that there are in fact racists in positions of authority in this world galls me to no end.  Forgive me for coming off like I did.

The same way we get passionate about Rangers hockey, I get passionate about the other Blueshirt team I'm on, the men and women of law enforcement.  Yes there's wingnuts out there, but for the most part, I am proud of what I do and the people I serve with.

Again, sorry for coming off so hard.  No hard feelings guys?