A Tribute To Those Affected By 9/11

SEATTLE - SEPTEMBER 10: Fans hold an American flag in remembrance of 9/11 during the game between the Seattle Sounders FC and Real Salt Lake at CenturyLink Field on September 10, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

I know I might be dating myself here, but oh well.

I was 12-years-old on September 11th, 2001. I remember some things, but not others. I remember getting called into the auditorium after english class so we can be spoken to by our principal. I remember hearing what happened and immediately calling my father, who works in New York, to see if he was OK.

He, thank God, picked up the phone when I called him; and said that although he didn't know when he was going to be able to get home with all the chaos, he was, in fact, coming home.

I remember walking home from school and talking to my mom, although I don't remember what we talked about. I remember trying not to watch the news, but still seeing those plane hit the towers about five-hundred times that afternoon. I, like many of you I'm sure, don't have to think too hard to remember those images.

I remember being angry, I remember being sad, I remember being frightened. It wasn't until I was a little older that I was truly able to grasp what happened that day.

But through all the horror and all the sadness , I remember being proud to be an American.

I swell with pride when the Madison Square Garden faithful give  astoundingly-long standing ovations to police, armed service members and firefighters attending Rangers games. I get a lump in my throat and want to cry when I watch stories about people who lost loved ones in the attacks, about emergency responders who went into the flames to help bring people out. I take every opportunity I can to thank those that serve us.

I remember, I make sure I'll never forget.

So if you see a police officer, an armed service member or a firefighter give them a smile, shake their hand, thank them for what they're doing. Remember to kiss your loved ones today and every day, tell them you love them and cherish the time you spend with them. If 9/11 reminded us of anything, it was how short life can be, how much we take for granted, how precious time can be.

From all of us here at Blueshirt Banter we would like to thank all those currently serving this country and all those that have. We extend our prayers to all those affected by the attacks of September 11th, and we remember those we lost  that day.

Thank you all for what you do for us every day.