New York Rangers Notes: Traverse City Tournament Finale Tonight

LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 26: Christian Thomas, drafted in the second round by the New York Rangers, poses for a portrait during the 2010 NHL Entry Draft at Staples Center on June 26, 2010 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

Despite a 4-3 OT loss to the Carolina Hurricanes, the New York Rangers will be playing in the Traverse City Tournament finale tonight against the Buffalo Sabres

The Rangers, who are participating in the tournament for the sixth year, have only won the entire thing once; when Brandon Dubinsky was leading the charge. These Rangers, lead by NHL-hopefuls such as Christian Thomas and Tim Erixon, are hoping to do exactly the same.

The game starts at 7 p.m. tonight so, as always, there will be an open thread up at 6:30 p.m.

Below the jump are some notes to hold you over until the game begins.

Bantering Points:

  • Thomas notched his first goal of the tournament on a brilliant buzzer beater at the end of the second. We've said throughout this tournament that Thomas has shown how dangerous he can be setting up his teammates, and we got another glimpse of how good he is shooting the puck as well. Here's to him having another big game when it counts.
  • Erixon nabbed an assist on the first goal, and continues to show why he is essentially a lock to make the team out of camp this year. If he has another solid performance tonight, and there's no reason to assume he won't, it would continue to prove why scouts have been raving about this kid since the moment Glen Sather acquired him.
  • Both Blake Parlett and Audy-Marchessault lead the Rangers this tournament with five points each.
  • Ryan Bourque can tie Dubinsky's all-time points mark if he notches another point tonight.
There will be an open thread set to open at 6:30 p.m. tonight, hope to see you guys there.